Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 26, 2011

TYBEE ISLAND - SEASIDE SISTERS

Tybee Island, Georgia is one of my favorite places.  I would love to have a little house there, preferably oceanside but anywhere will do just fine.  We rented a  place for a little more than a week a few years ago and didn't want to leave.  I went to my first pottery painting studio there.  That was a lot of fun and I love the platter I painted.  It's on a shelf in our living room.  And I'm no artist!   There are so many fun, neat, quirky and some crazy, fantastic shops on Tybee.  One of my favorite shops is Seaside Sisters on Highway 80 on the left as you go into town.  This is a group of vendors who each have a booth but the whole place flows as if it were one store.  I bought several things there including at least one Christmas gift.  I guess I am greedy.  I want to keep everything for myself. 


This is outside the shop.  There are a lot of booths set up out front.  I want that pillow, and that table, and that candle lamp, and those chairs, and that other pillow, and.....

One of the indoor booths belongs to Mary Kay Andrews, the New York Times best selling author, (and one of MY favorite authors).  Her books include Hissy Fit, Savannah Breeze, Savannah Blues, Blue Christmas, Deep Dish, The Fixer Upper, Little Bitty Lies, and her latest, Summer Rental.  I have them all.  She also wrote several murder mysteries under her real name, Kathy Hogan Trocheck.  I bought a couple of those at Seaside Sisters.  I love, love, love her books.  They are the kind of books you can't put down and stay up all night reading, knowing you have to go to work the next morning.  When Blue Christmas came out, Mary Kay had a book signing at one of our local bookstores.  It was a weekend I had to be out of town.  Without letting me know, a dear friend of mine went to the store, bought the book, stood in line to have it signed and gave it to me for Christmas.  You know, as adults we don't get many "good" surprises.  That was truly a good, wonderful surprise.  When Summer Rental came out my husband and I went to our local Books A Million to buy it.  It was late, we had just had a really bad storm, parking lot lights were off and the store lights were dimmed.  I thought they were closed.  Husband went to check, I stayed in the car.  He was gone FOR-EVER!  When he finally came back he had the book.  The power had been off and they were waiting for it to come back on so they could ring up the sale.  They had emergency lights and that was all.  He tried to get them to let him take the book and come back the next day to pay.  Oh, that man... 
So, here are some photos of Mary Kay Andrews' booth.  She has some fabulous items and as you can see, her niche is VINTAGE.  Got to love that! 

I want this cart!

Well, look here! 

I want these two boxes!
I love wooden boxes.  Everytime I buy one my husband screams, "You bought a BOX?  I can BUILD you a box!"  I think that is just so funny!  I don't know why, but it makes me laugh.  Sometimes I buy boxes just to make him say that.

Don't you just love these little vintage toys?

 
I want this lamp!!!  This one is not in MKA's booth. 

 
This is the very nice lady who was working the day we were there.  I should have written  down her name!  I wondered if she had to bring all of that stuff in from out front by herself.


Bye bye, Seaside Sisters.  We love you...

5 comments:

  1. Love this! Makes me want to jump in the car and go spend the day there! I know what you mean about your hubby's reaction to your buying boxes. Mine is always telling me about what he can build. Somehow CAN and WILL never make it into the same sentence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... your like me... I want that, and that, and that. I like it all. The mermaid lamp is to die for. Swoon! Such an enjoyable post =)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun ... I see lots of treasures there! Thanks for stopping by my Facebook page ... I'm following you along now, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect trip and memory! I grew up for a few years at St. Simons Island, Georgia! I wonder how far away that is. I still think of all places Georgia has been my very favorite! BTW- I pick up boxes too and every window on the street! Our husbands could commiserate! :) ~Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tybee (and Savannah) are two of my FAVORITE places! Next time I go, I'll be sure to visit Seaside Sisters. Thanks for sharing!! BTW, did you happen to have breakfast at the Breakfast Club or try out the Crab Shack? Tybee has some of the best and most interesting restaurants. Makes me want to take a road trip right now!

    ReplyDelete